Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't update Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

L8tely

MIS
Dec 17, 2004
US
Please help! I have one machine on my network that will only download and install selective security updates, but not all. There are no 13 updates it continues to download, but won't install. They are:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB889293)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB873339)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB885836)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB885835)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB840315)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB842526)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841873)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841356)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB840987)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841872)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841533)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB839645)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB824151)
Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)
Update for Windows Media Player 9 Series (KB837272)

I tried downloading them individually and installing them, but it says I don't have administrative rights to the machine (I am the administrator!)

Thanks in advance

Check your event log for errors relating to this problem
Then check the error msg from and this will give you a clue to the problem.This kind of problem happened to me but realised that the clock of the system was set two years back so I had to reset the clock.

There could be some network issues causing windows not to update. Check your network configuration and try again.

If still you can't update, try to install the modem on this system and see if it will update this way.

Is there any firewall installed on the machine specified or on the machine distributing the internet connection

ARTzWeb.net Web Hosting Services

My thoughts are that some of the Hotfixes are Cumulative, others have been superceded, and many are contained within Service Packs.

Run the Baseline Security Tool to see if anything important is in fact missing.

Thanks for all the responses and I think I now have the answer. It seems our central IT manager elected to install and configure an Update Server without telling anyone in the satellite organizations. Since this server is pushing the updates out on it's own schedule and has exclusive update rights to the operating system, we can't use windows update on our own any longer. Ain't communication grand???

Thanks again all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back