Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't unlock XP Pro folders to view file titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

MIS
Apr 8, 2001
GB
Suddenly, ALL of the folders on my desktop have frozen-up and will not open to reveal the files within, by the normal method of left-clicking on them. But they will open if I right-click, followed by the 'Open' command. This action opens up all of the file titles and they will then open perfectly normally by left-clicking.

Furthermore, if I save the folder onto a memory stick and transfer it to my laptop, they behave quite normally.

Any help would be gratefully received. TREB

You say "the normal method of left-clicking", but the default behavior is that a double-click of left mouse button performs the "Open" command, unless you changed it in folder options.

If you are double-clicking and it's still not working, maybe check your mouse settings in control panel and test / adjust the double-click speed. Or, try another mouse.

Hi guitarzan, many thanks for your quick reponse. Yes, I should have said a 'double-click' fails to open them - just a slip on my part. I have tried another mouse but that doesn't make any difference.

I have just researched a few elderly problems like this with XP (and there are a hell of a lot of them on Google) and the attempts to remedy are rather frightening to my poor old brain! Treb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back