Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't uninstall IE8 on Server 2008 SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniffer2112

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2009
US
I found the IE8 update to uninstall but when I do, I get the following message "An error has occured. Not all of the updates were sucessfully uninstalled." I'm guessing that it needs to uninstall some of the IE8 updates (KBs) but I can't tell which ones are for IE8.

I went to the following website and did all the steps that it said to:
This had no effect. I even did the part where you go to the command prompt and type in that long string

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:mad:fname /norestart"

and rebooted. This still did not remove IE8.

Main goal is to have IE7 installed.

Any ideas??

-Todd-
CCNA
MCTS: Sever 2008 AD Configuration
CompTIA: A+, Security+

**Mathmatics affects 7 out 5 people each day**

Hi Sniffer!

Do you know when IE8 was installed? Was it before SP2? I know that there was an issue with Vista that if you had installed IE8 and then SP2, that you were unable to uninstall IE8 without uninstalling SP2 first.

I believe that removing SP2, then uninstalling IE8 and then reinstalling SP2 should get you to where you want to be.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back