Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't understand activity log 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buca2003

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
Dear All,
I've been having problems lately with ARCserve 2000. I'm complete new and uneducated when it some to it, so please bear with me. I've created a back up which should span 2 tapes. For a long time we couldn't get the 2nd tape to mount but now it does. However, the problems have failed to stop. Tape 1 loads but only 1.5 GB are written to it. We use DLT IV 40-40GB tapes!! on the activity log there is a message saying "Backed up volume disk quota" It takes EIGHT!!! hours for the next entry to the activity log, which is "next media 11/08/03 06:00:00 ID DA 58, sequence #2" At this stage the 2nd tape is mounted. But absolutely nothing is written to this tape and three hours later a message to mount another tape is displayed!!
It has me totally confused.
The tapes being used are either brand new or have been erased.

CAN someone please enlighten me as to what the message " Backed up volume disk quota" means?
What it stays on this message for 8 hours?
why nothing is being written to the second tape?
and
why does tape 2 stay in the drive for 3 hours but have no data written to it?

I would appreciate all ye're help

Thank you

Hi
Under your backup options, you would have checked ...
verification : Compare backup media to disk.

Uncheck this option and then do a backup.

This option is more time consuming, Reads blocks of
data from the media and compares the data, byte for byte, against the source
files on the source machine. If ARCserve finds a mismatch, the Activity Log
is updated with this information.

regards
mohamdr

In the back up options, none was checked
I'm not sure what difference that makes....

The message about the volume disk quota was just the latest entry in the log. What is going wrong in your situation is happening after that.
What do the job logs and the activity logs mention about the job results. What can you browse through the restore manager using the restore by session option. What happens when you merge the tape ??

regards

Please note the message "Backed up volume disk quota" is past tense.

After that there was nothing to record until the end of the tape was reached. If nothing is wrong then there is nothing to report, so there is every reason to believe that for those eight hours it was writing data to tape.

Follow Cyklops advise and use the normal means to verify the data on tape.

after the 8 hour wait, it looked for another media. Mounted the second tape. Then looked for a third tape. There was no entry in the activity log between the two requests to mount new media!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back