Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Telnet/ FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

taneujin

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
SG
I have a user called admin. When I tried to telnet to the machine, I was given a prompt "invalid password". I thought it was a simple task of setting a new password. But when I gave a new password to the user, I was not able to login also. The same "invalid password" also came out.

Please advise.

Probably you have a line in the file /etc/ftpusers which reads "admin", this means that the user admin isn't allowed to ftp to this server. Make sure that the shell that the user admin have in /etc/passwd is listed in the file /etc/shells, otherwise the user want be able to use either telnet or ftp.
I would however, with security in mind, strongly recommend the use of SSH/scp over the use of telnet/ftp.

I am guessing it will not be the ftpuser account blocking, as he is trying to telnet...Most likely the culprit will be that admin was added as a root account, which is being prevented from remote logins for security reasons. In solaris it would be a root entry in the default login file which you would have to comment out, you will have to research your entry according to your distro.

Hello,

Please ensure that the user 'admin' is not de-activated in the password database. You can check that by opening the passwd file and then checking the second field of 'admin' user row. If it is '*', then noway the user can login.
The other possibility is that the hosts.deny file contains an entry of an IP address that is the same as the host from which the telnet request is coming.

Hope it helps.

Soumen Ghosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back