Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't switch off outgoing mail scan in NIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

arooney

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
GB
I have NIS installed under NSW - in otherwords the complete Norton PC package. Despite following the instructions on the Symantec "knowledgebase" and unchecking the 'scan outgoing email (recommended)' box, even unchecking the 'display progress indicator' box, NIS still persists in scanning my outgoing email. I have re-installed and I am completely up to date with Live update. I have searched google and dogpile extensively on this and emailed symantec (no reply). The only reference I can find on this is the numerous negative reviews of NIS on Amazon, many of which recognise this problem - but nowhere can I find a solution. Help - please!

BTW I use XP Home edition SP1

I just turned mine off and I'm having the same problem.

I'll get back to you if I figure it out, I'm going to play with it for a while. I want outgoing scanning enabled, but it's just the fact that it's not working and it should.

Solved it!! It's to do with upgrading from ME to XP (or mine is anyhow). Apparently if NIS or NSW was installed previous to XP upgrade, the registry may not have been cleared properly when you upgraded.

The solution is to down load the RNAV2003 utility from Symantec. Uninstall NIS and NSW. Under properties of the RNAV2003 file select the appropriate compatibilty field (in my case ME) and then run RNAV2003, first for 2003, reboot, then for 2002, reboot, then for 2001, reboot and then for 2000 and older, reboot. RE-install NAV and NSW. This fixes the problem. Took about two hours in all and of course because you have uninstalled NAV, you have to run LU again, which in my case meant re-downloading 19.4mbs over a 26k modem - about 70 mins!!! But at least its fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back