Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant strech desktop into 2 monitors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hi, I have a computer with Windows XP. The computer has 2 video cards, I have a monitor plugged into each video card. When I turn on the computer I see the exact same thing in both monitors. Since I want the image stretched into both monitors as one huge desktop, I go to settings in display properties however windows only sees one monitor there. If I go to device manager, I only see ONE video card (Intel 82945G) and if I go to the utility that came with the driver of that video card it also does not see the second monitor. My goal is to stretch the desktop into both monitors, as I sad before as of now I see the same thing on both monitors. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

First, are you using the on board video card and one plugged in to a PCIe or AGP slot? Or are these two actual physical cards?

Also one video card with two ports will allow you to use dual monitors, you could get a card with dual DVI, or one card with dual analog or one card with one DVI & one analog port to achieve your goal.

Also, for the money, UltraMon rocks if you're using dual monitors!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

I noticed that when I open the computer case, one of the video cards is integrated with the motherboard but the second video card is just a cable with the 15 pin video connection at one end and at the other end there is a 10 or so pins that go straight into some pins in the motherboard...weird, so is not PCI. AGP or PCIe....just a cable with a video connection at one end and at the other end some pins that go into straight into the motherboard. The second video card doe snot have a board or anything like that. Here is the motherboard I have, if you look at the image you will see that right next to the video card there are 10 pins...those are the pins where the second video card is plugged in to....

Doing a Google search, I am not seeing dual monitor support for that motherboard anywhere.

Also, I guess I am a little confused by your description, do you have your monitor plugged into the 9 pin slot to left of the VGA port? That would be a serial port not a video slot. Or is there a separate piece in place of the serial port?

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

no....both monitors are plugged in to the 15 pin video card. one of the video cards is integrated with the motherboard...the second video card has just a wire going form the 15 pin connection to a 10 pin connection into the motherboard right next to the integrated video card.....you can see the 10 pin that I am talking about if yo click on the image on the motherboard on the link above..the pins are right next to the video card in the motherboard

I guess its safe to assume that my motherboard does not support dual monitors right?

> both monitors are plugged in to the 15 pin video card

How do you plug two monitors into one 15-pin VGA port? Or was there a second VGA port added, that is not in your picture?

I think what you have there is just a video splitter. A Projector Out. It can only support cloning the video feed. But nothing more.

For clarity sakes:

What the OP is trying to explain, is that just behind the blue VGA port on the motherboard is a set of pins. A Cable is plugged into those pins. The cable ends in another VGA connector. This in turn is connected to the second monitor.

But its the same onboard video card.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

i also tried installing a pci video card in the available pci slot but when I do that i just get a black screen, windows does not boot at all or at least I cant see it. I guess it is jut not gonna work, I give up :-(

By the link you posted it appears it does. Have you tried updating the video chips drivers. Perhaps the feature needs the newer drivers to work.

i also tried installing a pci video card in the available pci slot but when I do that i just get a black screen, windows does not boot at all or at least I cant see it. I guess it is jut not gonna work, I give up sad

Usually BIOS will automatically disable on-board Video cards when an add-on card is disabled. So plug a monitor into the PCI card you added. You may be able to get display then, go into bios and enable the on-board video then.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita I did try that, I plugged in a monitor to the pci video card that I installed and unplugged the second monitor from the built in video card. When I do that I get a black screen. There is no option in BIOS to enable/disable on board video

Odd. Are you sure the PCI video card you are using works?
Do you get any beeps with the PCI video card in?

Try updating the Video Drivers maybe that will give you the ability you need to extend the desktop to 2 monitors.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Some cards come with their own software to handle this. Did you install that software or open it if it is already installed?

vacunita I actually event ried 2 different PCI cards, both with the same results, no beeps and yes I updated drivers for the chipset and video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back