Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't start Windows xp pro on labtop

Status
Not open for further replies.

draugen

Programmer
Nov 24, 2004
NO
A coworker of mine has problems with his labtop. Its running windows xp pro. He couldn't get it to shut down normally, so he just hit the power-off button and held it down till the labtop shut down. Now it wont start in normal mode. He has had success starting it in safe mode, though. We tried to remove the battery for 1\2 hour to reset the system (been told to do that when I have trouble starting my computers at home).
It didn't help. Also after we did this, when entering Safe mode, the the labtop won't accept his password on entering windows.
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to procced in getting his system up and running? And also how to bypass his psswor problem?
Thanks ahead of time.

Sorry - we don't work on labtops here. Sorry if English is NOT your first language.

We can't discuss password changing here or we get banned. You can Google something like you requested and might find some interesting tools though.

Try the administrator user from Safe Mode with NO password and see if that lets you in. Then you can change the password on the other account.

Do a virus scan either from the operating system or a bootable CD. If that's over your head, you might need some professional help.

Sounds like Windows got corrupted in whatever was causing the issue (at least), but it may be a hardware issue as well.

By the way, it's laptop, in case that got lost somewhere in translation, or perhaps you were misinformed by someone else.

I'm seriously wondering if it's the hard drive going on your friend, but it could be Windows.

A simple fix attempt would be to boot from a Windows XP CD - make sure the same version as what's installed, and run a repair install.

Short and sweet repair install instructions.

More detailed instructions, including opinions, etc - may not be a bad reference, but I didn't take time to look in depth.

Also, you can run diagnostics on the hard drive, then RAM, from
If you need further instructions on how to do any of the above, or anything, post further. Be sure to post progress/results if known.

You can get special Adapters which will connect the broken Laptop's hard drive to another machine. Then you can at least save your data and do a recovery from any recovery options available to you.

WIndows xp on laptop stuck in startup loop
thread779-1492440: WIndows xp on laptop stuck in startup loop

draugen,

Any further information? Progress?

BTW, I didn't mean to basically repeat goombawaho on the Laptop/Labtop bit. Just another lesson in double-checking a thread's not been updated before I post. [blush]

Yes, we're just hanging around waiting to hear some kind of update. We won't critique your spelling any further.

Thanks Kjv1611, Goombawahoo, and linney for your reply.

Goombawahoo and Kjv1611, thanks for the spelling correction. I honestly thought it was labtop. Guess I need to take English spelling 101.

Kjv1611, Yes that is what I thought too, that windows had somehow been corrupted. I spoke too my friend on the telephone to give him your solution, but he had already sent the laptop in question away to be repaired.
Thanks though.
Christian

If you get to find out once your friend gets their laptop back, post back here to let us know if/when fixed, and what they say the solution was.

That's alright on the labtop/laptop deal. I was curious, and looked it up... apparently there's quite a number of folks who picked that spelling up somewhere - it's not correct, but whoever started it definitely started a trend! [wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back