Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't start Windows 95 "Data error reading drive C"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markie37

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
When booting up my windows 95 it goes through all the processes, the screen comes up "starting windows 95" and then a screen comes up and a whole bunch of stuff on it and at the bottom it says, "Data error reading drive C" Directly below that statement, it says "Abort, Retry, Fail?" I can't get past this. Whenever I hit a key [any key] it will keep repeating "Data error reading drive C, Abort, Retry, Fail?" This just started out of the clear blue sky. I tried my re-boot with my floppy and still the same reading. Computer had been working good until this boot. Reboot, Reboot, does nothing. Where do I go from here?

Have you tried booting to the dos prompt and running scandisk? If the fat table is scrambled beyond repair, you may have to format your hard drive and start over again. If you can boot to the dos prompt, try backing up any data you might have on your hard drive before proceding.

Can you boot into safe mode? You might need to open it up and remove any cards except video and start from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back