Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant Start Remote Desktop Services (error 126)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Larry_

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2017
GB
thread1726-1767765

Just like nsanto17
I have an issue with a Windows 7 SP1 where all of sudden I can't start the Remote Desktop Services. When I try to manually start it I get a "Error 126: The specified Module could not be found"

I have run SFC / Scannow to check for any missing or corrupt files. (Passed 100%)
I have run SCAN Disk to check to see if maybe a file was sitting on a bad sector of the harddrive. (Passed 100%)

That thread faded away & died without response.
Does anyone have an answer for this please?

NOTE: Microsoft "Professionals", please DO NOT post a link to the usual 'dead-end/waste of time' Microsoft pages!!!

Have you tried a "repair" with the installation CD?

>NOTE: Microsoft "Professionals", please DO NOT post a link to the usual 'dead-end/waste of time' Microsoft pages!!!

What does that even mean? Isn't it possible that a solution could be found on a "Microsoft page"? How could I weed out the "dead-end" pages, let along the "waste of time" ones? Or maybe your warning was only for "Microsoft Professionals"... I am not one, so maybe I am in the clear to help?

_Larry_ said:
please DO NOT post a link to the usual 'dead-end/waste of time' Microsoft pages!!!
Although I can understand that you are very frustrated, I would disagree that searching for the informations on the MS pages would be a waste of the time. Back before 2000 I worked as admin of the all sorts of Windows available at the time and could solve most of the issues without reinstalling Windows only thanks to the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Have you looked into the logs after you have run [tt]sfc /scannow[/tt] ?
When not, then read the section How to view details of the System File Checker process here in the MS KB article 929833:
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
If you will find in the logs that [tt]some.dll[/tt] couldn't be repaired (because it was missing ... etc), then you have to copy/replace it manually from another computer with Windows 7. In that case look at the section How to manually replace a corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file in the same MS KB article.

Thank you xwb, guitarzan & mikrom for you answers.
I haven't tried the CD 'repair' yet. When I can get hold of a windows CD, I'll try that.

The microsoft pro's answers generally just post a link to a microsoft KB which remotely/vaguely resembles something close to the question a person is asking. It is my belief that they generally do this (not just this forum) to gain 'questions answered' points!
I know some KB articles are very good, but a lot of muppetsoft engineers sometimes list them simply because it contains more than one word in the question asked!

There were no corrupt files to repair... buy I will read the KB you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back