Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Start Event Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPTC

MIS
Dec 12, 2003
US
Hello,

I am investigating version 8.0 in preparation for an upgrade. I have installed and configured version 8.0 on a PC running Windows XP with SP2. The production installation will be on a machine running Windows Server 2003. I have had success running existing maps or newly created test maps through the map designer but I cannot get the Event Server started. I currently have all components (maps, type trees, systems, etc.) on the local PC because the event server can’t find any .msl files on a network drive. I can start the service, connect to the event server with the Management Console and the Event Server Monitor. However, when I start the event server the Management Console reports "Starting" and then "Done". Here is what the logs usually tell me:

All files on network drive but .msl file.
1. FileListener: (not turned on)
2. EventServerLog.log: Cannot recognize if the system Utilities.msl; has started. Reason: Server is unable to get the status of the system on port number 9,002.
3. CompoundSystem.txt:
a. Map not found:
M:\Mercator\Maps\Utilities\RemoveCRLF997.mmc
Mismatch in card count between MMC (M:\Mercator\Maps\Utilities\RemoveCRLF997.mmc) and MSL
b. Map not found:
M:\Mercator\Maps\Utilities\RemoveCRLF997.mmc
4. CompoundSystem.log:
a. ASCL-TX-ES-W-3105 - Tue Sep 20 11:09:42 2005 - tid: 3648 inst: -1 - Unable to load resource config file : M:\Mercator\Resources\EdiConfigurationFile.mrc (mercntsv.c:1988)
b. ASCL-TX-ES-F-5105 - Tue Sep 20 11:09:42 2005 - tid: 3648 inst: -1 - Cardinfo failure <mapname> : M:\Mercator\Maps\Utilities\RemoveCRLF997.mmc (launchio.c:2670)
c. ASCL-TX-ES-F-5117 - Tue Sep 20 11:09:42 2005 - tid: 3648 inst: -1 - load map failure : M:\Mercator\Maps\Utilities\RemoveCRLF997.mmc (launchio.c:2926)
d. ASCL-TX-ES-F-5114 - Tue Sep 20 11:09:42 2005 - tid: 3648 inst: -1 - Loadtriggers failed <error> : (mercntsv.c:2059)
5. MgmtConsoleLog.log:
a. Event Server:Development
CompoundSystem System Not Responding

All files on local C: drive
1. FileListener.log: Failed to access Journal DIR
2. CompoundSystem.log:
a. ASCL-TX-ES-I-2141 - Mon Sep 26 10:40:24 2005 - tid: 3836 inst: -1 - No resoource config file specified : (mercntsv.c:2005)
b. ASCL-TX-CM-E-4507 - Mon Sep 26 10:40:25 2005 - tid: 4004 inst: -1 - SAM error : Additional error info from object: 0, (rmadpt.c:944)
c. ASCL-TX-CM-F-5504 - Mon Sep 26 10:40:25 2005 - tid: 4004 inst: -1 - Rminittriggers failure <error> : **RMInitTriggers 1599 rc=-1 pos=0: (rmtrig.c:1603)
d. ASCL-TX-ES-F-5107 - Mon Sep 26 10:40:25 2005 - tid: 4004 inst: -1 - Init adapters failure : rminittriggers returned -1 (adptstuf.c:744)

3. CompoundSystem.txt: Unknown error - maybe memory
4. MgmtConsole.log: Event Server:Development
CompoundSystem System Not Responding
5. EventServerlog.log: Cannot recognize if the system Test9.msl; has started. Reason: Server is unable to get the status of the system on port number 9,002.

It seems likely that there may be some sort of configuration issue with either our network or PC configuration but I am at a loss as to how to determine if this is the case. Earlier this year we ran into a similar problem when we could not get our event server started because of one of our systems. In this case our CompoundSystem.txt reported that it could not find the map for the system even though we could confirm that the compiled map file was in the location that the CompoundSystem.txt file said it couldn’t find it. I can still receive this message in the CompoundSystem.txt when the maps and system reside on a network drive. I did contact support in this case and their best guess was that the map may have become corrupted. Their suggestion was to export the map, import it, and try again. This worked at that time but the problem occurred again and exporting/importing the map didn’t solve the problem. I have tried this with version 8.0 but it has not helped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

On Windows, most likely you are starting the service as the wrong user. Also possiblek based on the errors, you have set cluster settings in the .ini when you are not in a cluster.

Did you recompile all maps in 8.0?

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

BocaBurger,

Regarding the user, I have tried the following combinations of logging on to the Event Service all with the same results I reported above:

1) 'Local System Account' with 'Allow Service to Interact with the Desktop' checked.
2) 'Local System Account' with 'Allow Service to Interact with the Desktop' NOT checked.
3) 'This account'.

The account I am using has administrative rights to the machine.

I did look into the cluster settings in the .ini file and found I did have the 'Cluster Support Journaling' setting uncommented. I commented this out and gave it another try and I was able to start the Event Server.

I then tried to start the Event Server with the .msl file in a network drive and I couldn't connect. The logs reported that no .msl files could be found even though there is a .msl file one of the deployement directories listed in the Event Server Administration. This is the problem I ran into when I started with 8.0 and I moved all files to the local drive.

Are there any known issues with 8.0 and Windows XP with SP2 or Windows Server 2003? I haven't found any reference to these operating systems in any readme files.

Thanks for your suggestions BocaBurger, they did help.

Have you specified which folder the system files are to be loded from in Event Server Administration?
The Event Server should load using 'This account'. and an account with the required privileges to the remote files.

jahnes,

I do have the folder with the system files in the Event Server Administration. The account I am using does have priveleges to the remote files. In 6.7.1 I had used 'Local System Account' without a problem. Now regardless if I use 'Local System Account' or 'This Account' the .msl files are not seen on anything other than the C: drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back