Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackietpy

Technical User
Dec 21, 2003
MY
Hi,

My machine was installed with SCO Openserver 5.0.6 about 3 months ago. I wrote a script file to shutdown the manchine automatically. Recently I couldn't shutdown the machine eventhough I used manual shutdown command eg. shutdown -g0 -y.

What I found out is after the date 29 Mar 2005, the manchine not able to shutdown. If I changed the date before 29 Mar 2005 then the manchine is ok to shutdown. Any one can help on this.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

JT

If you do a "who", do you get odd responses? Names which show up, but no processes associated with them?
The only thing I've seen to cause similar behavior was due to the shutdown command not being able to successfully issue the "wall" (Write to All) command.
As a test (with nobody logged in), try doing "init 0" at the console instead of shutdown. This will initiate shutdown immediately, and without issuing the "wall" command.

What happens after March 29 that didn't happen before? Start using something that was date based, or possibly runs from 'cron'; new software, shell script, or device ? Maybe your mounting a CD and not getting it unmounted, or an NFS or Samba file share? Does the shutdown give any type of message such as 'device busy'?

These are the things I'd look at first. Maybe it will help.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back