Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't send email through Outlook using my university's SMTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello guys,
I am having problems sending e-mails through my University's SMPT server, this started happening after i installed a DSL server on my computer.

I am running Win98 SE and the problem I am having is with Outlook 6... POP server works just fine and I can receive emails perfectly, it just seems that my school's server rejects outgoing messages from my new connection...

Any input will be appreciated,
regards

Kavin

Hey there,

There is a fix for what you are experiencing. What you need to do is open outlook or outlook express and go to Tools then Accounts then under the Mail Tab click on Properties and finally on Servers.
In the Outgoing (SMTP) Server Tab put the smtp server of you DSL provider. So if your DSL is through Earthlink, then this box should read smtp.earthlink.net or if it is Verizon it should be smtp.verizon.net .
You have to use the outgoing mail server of those who own the connection to send your messages. This will not affect your incoming messages.
The reason you have to use your DSL provider's SMTP server is part of the battle against SPAM.
You can learn more about this by doing a search on google.com about Port 25 Blocking and Relaying Denied Errors.

Hope that helps!

Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back