Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't seem to renumber a R2 system with a 2-digit dial plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6ber

Technical User
Dec 13, 2003
US
I have a Merlin II systenmwith a Legend R2.1 prossor, that I maintained where I used to work. When they went CH-11 I got the system.

Anyway, I reset the system back to a default condition with 3 cards in it so I could used it at home.

R2.1 Processor

I have the basic system working just fine. I now want to renumber the extensions. I know the procedure for renumbering since I have done it many times when this used a 4 digit extension dial plan.

I have the current system set with 2-digit extensions but I can't renumber any extensions. With only 28 extensions in the system I should be able to renumber any of them to number above 28. Every time I try the system just error beeps. :(

I'm using WinSPM 5 to do the programming using a port on the 012 module, can't find my 355 adapter.

Ideas any one?

My first guess would be that it is "STRAPPED" for key mode.

Is it, in fact in Key or Hybred PBX, and CAN YOU CHANGE IT? (If it is in KEY mode)

My 2nd guess would be that you are trying to use something that's not available.

I would start by choosing "SET UP SPACE", and see if that works.

I know that it's not strapped for key mode since last had the system using a full 4 digit dial plan. I'm fairly sure that I did do renumbering when it was set to 4 digit.

The system has been shutdown for about two years before I restarted it at home.

A little history of the system.
The orignal system that the R2 processor was in used 408MLX cards. That system was upgraded to a R4 processor when I was a beta tester for T1-Pri that first came out on the R4 along with replacing the 012 with 016's. The old R2 processor was saved. I then got my hands on a Merlin II which I put the R2 processor in it and used it for a year and a half at the last company I worked for.

Back to the current system.

Only put two cards in it initially, one 408 and one 012. When the system started it seemd to reset it self back to the factory defaults since the 4 digit dial plan was gone and it had reset back to key mode. I last had the system in hybred mode.

I added the second 408 card then set the system to hybred/PBX. I've never used this system in 2 digit dial plan before. I guess I could try that but I really don't want a 4 digit dial plan for home. I guess that I could also go back and completely reset the system and start over again since I don't have much programming in it.

In the past I've used the DOS version of SPM, this is the first time I've used WinSPM. Can't find the old DOS diskette.

Well, my idea of "Set Up Space" was two fold. 1) to see if you could and then, 2) to see if you could renumber the 7100's back to 2 digit.

Now that I understand more clearly what your problem is, it sounds like you have some type of numbering conflict.

As you say, if you don't have much programming, I'd go ahead and reset it. (System Erase)

That's always best when you start to program one anyway.

I'll give that a try since it won't take too long.

After reading other posts I figured out why when I returned the unit to service after being in storage for two years all the programming was gone. I bet the battery was dead. Is the battery a NiCd? If not is it a replaceable one?

Thinking about it I may just go ahead and order a R7 off of ebay along with a replacement 391C1 to replace the 391A1 that's in the carrier now.

Which brings me to a whole new subject that I will create under a new topic.

Thanks

The reason you can't renumber is because when use the 2 digit numbering system you have only a few choices of numbering that you can change starting at 6700 ,your digit use from 10 to 66 so 1,2, 3, 4, 5, & 6to 66 are used by the system ,7, 8, & 9 are system options ,do like merlinman said go to set up space

Thanks everyone. I've always used setup space for 4 digit extensions and stupid me did not even think that you could renumber to 2 or 3 digits or even a mixture of lengths.

No on to the next issues.

1) How to have a phone ring on any incoming call in the pool without using up a button.

2) How to dial 911 without having to dial 9911.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back