Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't see website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klegy

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
GB
I've been trying for weeks now to see a website. We have a LAN configured on a server 2003 network with internet access via ADSL (Nildram). A D-Link router is connected to the LAN via an ethernet cable to a port on a switch (as are all the other machines on the LAN).DNS/DHCP is configured on the server with the router configured as having a static private IP address. The router WAN IP address has a public static IP address. No machines are able to view this particular website ("page cannot be displayed") nor am I able to ping the website from any of the machines. I've tried Firefox with the same result. The ISP (Nildram) are of little help (your problem mate!). The guy who did the website has done another one for us, hosted on the same server, of which we can view. I am at a total loss of what is causing the problem?

With all this info, you still haven't told us WHERE the website is hosted. Is it on your 2003 server? Are you using that to try to access the internet?

Trojan.

It seems the problem is not related to your physical set up (because you made mention of another website hosted on the same machine that is working fine). So the next step is to consider that the web server software is not configured correctly.

I would suggest you post your problem to one of the forums that deal specifically with your server (maybe you are using IIS -- in which case try the nice ASP folks at:
Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Sorry, the website/s are hosted on external servers (i.e. not on our network). The domain (impactlondon.com) is hosted on a fasthosts server. However the website developer recently asked us to point the site to different DNS addresses (fasthosts/UK Reg have an online config screen allowing a modification for name servers). Of course I've been in correspondence with the developer about this problem but he too is having difficulty getting his head around the problem.
It seems from about mid June that we stopped being able to see this site and I can't recall any major changes (on the network) that could have caused this!

The site loads OK for me.

Does your company have an in house DNS server or a web proxy?

If your in house or ISPs DNS server did not update with the new DNS info then you would have the problem you are having.

I have seen this before with large companies that run their own DNS. They set them up incorrectly and when something changes it isn't reflected on their DNS server.

In my case, after changing my webhost, a client was sending mail that wasn't getting to me. Instead, it was going to my old webhost because on the client's internal DNS our domain was still hosted at the old place.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

I feel this could well be a DNS issue but I'm not very confident troubleshooting DNS issues on server 2003. Foamcow mentions that the in house DNS server may not have updated itself with the new DNS info. Anybody any ideas how I check this out?

I'm sketchy with DNS too, but..

try doing a lookup on impactlondon.com using your local or ISP's DNS server.

Then do the same using another, unrelated DNS server.

For example when I use my ISP's DNS server (ns0.altohiway.com) to look up the domain impactlondon.com, I get the following

impactlondon.com A (Address) 217.154.123.98
impactlondon.com NS (Nameserver) ns.mistral.co.uk
impactlondon.com NS (Nameserver) ns.wwood.co.uk
impactlondon.com NS (Nameserver) ns.wwood.co.uk
impactlondon.com NS (Nameserver) ns.mistral.co.uk
ns.wwood.co.uk A (Address) 217.154.123.98
ns.mistral.co.uk A (Address) 195.184.228.6

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Try doing an nslookup from one of the machines having the problem and see what IP address it is resolving to. This will tell you whether or not your DNS is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back