Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see web site outside of lan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithschm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US

I run windows 2k server. I have a domain name registered, and set up a web site. the site works locally but will not work from the outside. the FTP, SMTP,VPN etc.. all work except the web site. I am going insane trying to figure this out.

any help would be great

THanks

Have you checked to ensure that your public DNS record point to your public ip address? Firewall? Is port 80 forwarding to the correct inside address?
Nat device: Cable or DLS modem? Is it set to forward port 80 to teh correct inside address?

yes all is set, but is still does not work.

where is the problem starting? Can you ping the website from the outside (if you allow ICMP...)? Is the webserver the same machine as any of the other "working" sites?

yes I have one server that controls all. WEB, FTP, VPN and exchange, POP, SMTP.

Web is the only thing that does not work externally. And I can not ping my wan IP address from the outside

OK. so on that one server do you have multiple NIC's or are you using multiple IP's on one NIC? When you say you can't ping your WAN IP, is that bound to a router/firewall controlled by you or your ISP?

I only have one NIC. The Server is plugged into my router, which is connected to my cable modem. all ports are set up correctly.

I can use ftp://mydomain.com, I can use my emaill address @mydomain.com. I can type in MYDOMAIN.com for netmeeting remote desktop.

My isp gives me the ip address which I have connected to
thanks

It's possible that your ISP is blocking ICMP then, so the ping thing is not a great test since you can't control it. Do you have a firewall? Is it possible that your ISP is also blocking port 80 (http)?

I guess they could be blocking, but do not think they would. I guess I can set up a temp system with just a web server and see what happens. Is there anyway to test?

I just called my ISP and they block port 80. If I change the port in the web setup. then I should be able to do it through my DNS service. I hope....

well I am screwed. since my isp blocks port 80. and my dns service does not give me an option to select ports, there is no way to do a web page with uout typing in a port # in to my address. so my home page is
that is terrible. anybody have a better idea

I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of finding a cheap/free host for a single page, have the DNS point to that, and then redirecting to the :8080 url for the big stuff (in my case I want to put up an image gallery using Apache/PHP/mySQL). Just a thought...

are you running a linksys router or any other kind of router that allows a DMZ to be set up !
If so then tell the router to allow that servers ip internaly to take the request from external sources so you would be able to connect your internal web buy ip address externaly ! Done deal this is how everyone i know does there Ftp should work for what you need to do !
If the dmz host isnt configured in the router you will get blocked externaly ..................... Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

MY ISP stopped Blocking So I am good to go. If the ISP is blocking DMZ host will not help you

I decided to go with For $24 bucks a year, they will redirect traffic to you can also add free hostnames so they can be redirected in the same way.
I added to my hostnames at no-ip.com, just to see how it works. Now redirects you, through a non-80 port (cox cable blocks port 80) on my router (which uses dhcp for internet for cox cable access, so it's external ip changes every once in a while...this is handled nicely by software form no-ip.com), to my linux box at home.
Soon my domain name traffic, will come to my linux box. I just changed the nameserver today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back