Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see signal on my RJ45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kkto

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
ES
Hi there

I need a way to put data signal on a cable, though my computer is not connected to any network

I'm programming an application in Visual Basic 6 over Win98, the computer has a Realtek network adapter but is not connected to any other comp.
I just want to see data on an oscilloscope, for educational purposes... But i can't see it :-(

I'm trying with PacketX and WinPcap (
Hope you can help me

either go buy, or "hack" together a loopback device. simply hardwire your xmit pair to your receive pair, and voila'!

dawned on me you may not know how to make one. basically get a cable you don't need. cut off one end. connect white-orange and blue-white, and orange-white and white-blue. of course, if you wanna see on an oscope, you'll have to somehow put it in the middle of those :/ on your own there :p

I have that cable connected, and the oscope too, but i still can't see any data.

Moreover, my app receives data so I guess it's been sent over the loopback interface...

I need to skip loopback (a software filter will do, so that doesn't matter) and see data in cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back