Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see Servers using ping!! Weird Case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajrey

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
Hello all!
This is my story:
I have a Server installed in my WAN conected to my router like any other server in my WAN. I can connect to this server via VCN with no problem using its name.
Fron that server I can go to Start/Run and type \\servername I can access that server folders. BUT! I cant ping those servers!

If I try to ping that same server I accessed via Start\Run \\servername I cant. Gives me Request Timeout. WHY????

Even by trying to ping by IP Address.

Any Ideas? Im lost here!!

Sounds to me like somewhere along the line ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) is getting blocked. Windows has a way to block ICMP on the network adapter if you go into the advanced properties of IP(TCP/IP). This is also a common feature found in most firewalls. Tracert and ping both use ICMP...if you can connect over VNC then you've definitely got connectivity so most likely:

1. That server(s) is/are rejecting ICMP due to firewall or network configuration.
2. You said this was connected to your "WAN" so depending on the route you take to the machine you may be hitting a router along the way that's rejecting ICMP - this is a common practice for an ISP who is having trouble with ICMP flood/DOS attacks. I believe a Cisco router will also discard ICMP if the link is getting overloaded.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back