Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't see server

Status
Not open for further replies.

at51178

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
HEY GUYS

I AM ON A CLIENT PC THAT IS IN AN AD DOMAIN AND I AM ABLE TO SEE FILES ON MY SERVER BUT I CAN NOT SEE THE SERVER WHEN I GO TO MY NETWORK PLACES IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO FIX THAT.

THANKS.

Can other users see the server in in network neighbourhood? If not, the server may be set to not advertise itself in which case there is not much you can do unless you are the server admin.

well I am the admin server how do I set it to advertise to the domain.

If it's an XP client, run this reg key (copy into file named smb.reg and run on client, I also ran on servers):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
"SMBDeviceEnabled"=dword:00000000

It seems to fix a lot of browse issues with XP. But make sure you're pointing your DNS on the WS to the same DNS server your DC uses. This got rid of an annoying "You may not have permission to browse the network" error I persistently got on XP clients.

MS is sometimes forgetful. I've seen this several times on my network. Open up Windows Exploder, and in the address bar, type in \\servermane and 9 times out of 10 it pops up. If it doesn't, then start looking at your basic networking settings. Another problem I've found is that my w98 machines under identification were set to join the default workgroup, and when I changed that to the domain, the servers showed up. Good Luck. [pc2] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"A single stone can cause a building to collapse."
Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas (1580-1645); Spanish writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back