Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant see external Drives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcny33

Technical User
Apr 24, 2001
US
Hello,

Not sure whats going on here but I have Solaris 10 on a Netra 240 with two internal SCSI drives (c2t0do & c2t1d0) and a 12 pack Ultra SCSI drive box with 6 hard drives in it (c6t2d0,c6t3d0,c6t4d0,c6t5d0,c6t8do, & c6t9do). Under the probe-scsi-all command I can see all of the drives both internal and external. When I'm booted up, I can see all of the drives under the Format command. Now when I go into Solaris Management Console (SMC) under Storage, I only see the 2 internal drives c2t0d0, c2t1do and only 1 of the drives in the external scsi drive box c6t9d0. I'm not receiving any error messages as far as hard drive errors. These drives are new and were inserted in the external box the same time. I also have ran the reboot reconfiguration command after attaching the external box along with the drives. Why cant I see the other 5 drives in the Ultra SCSI external Box. Any help or suggestions would be appriciated.

If probe-scsi-all can see the drives, then they are physically attached. If you can see the drives with format then the Solaris operating system can see them (special device files in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk exist for each drive). After you have entered SMC and cannot see them all, what happens if you exit SMC, can you then see all the drives from format? If so, then I suspect SMC is lying!! (and not for the first time) Can you do what you are trying to do via SMC by some other way?

I hope that helps.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the Post. Your probably right as far as the SMC is lying to me. What I was trying to do was to create a RAID 5 with the external drives (the 12 pack ultra scsi drive box). I figured I would try and utilize the SMC Enhanced storage feature where it will let you create a RAID 5. Since my Post I even when ahead and attached another External Drive box (a 6 pack ultra scsi drive box) and put two hard drives in it to see if it was the external box with the problem. Well the SMC still doesn't show the drives. Kind of funny in some aspects. I guess I will have to see if I can get a copy of veritas volume manager like we have on our other servers.

Thanks
BC

BC-

All SMC does is create a Solaris LVM group out of the drives. You can do the same thing using cli commands. Or you could put them into a zfs pool.

Just some thoughts...

Hi BC,

As domburns62 says, you can use CLI commands. You don't need to use the expensive Veritas product. In Solaris 10, the Solstice Disk Suite 'add-on' of Solaris 8 has been encorporated as Solaris Volume Manager. Check out the man pages for metadb & metainit.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back