Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see components after installing into D2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossmcm

Programmer
Jun 28, 2000
I have a component that was written for D5 and is derived from the TSpinEdit
component that was supplied on the Samples tab of the D5 component palette.

I am trying to get this component installed and available for D2005 and having no end of problems.

I figure I need to create a package and add this component to it. Here is what I did:

File/New/Package - I get Package1.bpl in my project group
I right-click this and select Add. I navigate to the component source file and select it.
It then appears under the "Contains" folder of the project group.
I Right click the Package and select Build
I Right-click the package and select Install
D2005 reports that the component has been installed.

But I can't find it under any category on the tools palette.

What am I doing wrong?

After much messing around with several component .PAS files I get it to work occasionally, but never consistently. Sometimes the tool palette category appears, but not with all the components in the package showing, sometimes it doesn't survive shutting down and restarting Delphi.

There seems to be little documentation on how to do this.

Remembering the zillion changes I made to get my D5 components code compiling in D6 I'm wondering how D5 code can compile in D2005. :)

You are sure the compiling phase is not producing some warnings/hints? May be you are hidding some methods Borland moved to the "custom" classes.

buho (A).

Not sure what you mean. All the components compile without errors or warnings.

One of the components had the following uses clause in the implementation part:

uses WinProcs, DsgnIntf ;

which D2005 doesn't like. It seems to compile fine without it.

DsgnIntf has been superseded by DesignEditors and DesignIntf.

But if you have not deleted any real code it doesn't matter anyway.

buho (A).

Sorry, still not totally awake. :(

"But if you have not deleted any real code it doesn't matter anyway." is not totally true.

May be the units are redefining some procedure. Not very likely but a posibility.

buho (A).

Interestingly, the units installed fine on another machine with D2005. I guess something is scrambled on the first machine. Any suggestions as to how to get it back to a default state? - I have seen mention about configuration files you can delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back