Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see buttons or other graphics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tati

MIS
Mar 11, 2000
US
Hi,<br><br>I uploaded a web site to yahoo geocities.&nbsp;&nbsp;The page has 2 frames,&nbsp;&nbsp;I can readily see the graphics on one of the frames, but none on the other.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am confused as what to do about it, I thought I was mssing Front Page extension servers...so I downloaded them.&nbsp;&nbsp;This did not help me at all.<br><br>Thanks&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Tati

Front Page Server extensions need to be installed at the root level of the server hosting your pages in order to provide you the full range of features FP offers, ie., FTP, forms, etc.<br><br>In this case, though, I would suspect that you are having a naming convention / path issue, as long as you have looked into your Geocities member directory and can see that the images you uploaded reside there.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go to the source code of your HTML and be sure that the name of the frame page the missing images are on is the same path as the actual page, and that it's not pointing back to your local drive, for example.<br><br>If the name in the HTML is the same as it should be, and the images are there in your folder on Geocities, I would then be willing to admit I was stumped.&nbsp;&nbsp;In which case, I would delete those files and upload them again.<br><br>Good luck.<br>

I agree with hohriver:&nbsp;&nbsp;probably a file name or path.<br><br>I would look particularly at your file naming convention.&nbsp;&nbsp;Because Geocities is probably a UNIX server it will be case sensitive.&nbsp;&nbsp;When working with UNIX it best to work in lower case.&nbsp;&nbsp;A capital &quot;B&quot; in a file name is a completely different animal than is &quot;b&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example, BbB.gif is a completely different file than is bBb.GIF.&nbsp;&nbsp;Windows (OS) doesn't care but UNIX sure does.<br><br>Yes it's true that most FTP programs will upload &quot;case intact&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;However some have features that automatically force lower case file names.&nbsp;&nbsp;Which FTP client are you using?<br><br>Also, sometimes Front Page preserves the absolute file path rather than allowing a relative file path.&nbsp;&nbsp;This can be checked by scrolling the mouse over the image, that has been inserted, into the web page after it's been uploaded. The path shows in the status bar at the bottom of the page.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it shows the path to the folder on your hard drive rather than where it should be found on the web server you've found the problem.<br><br>Another thought, if your image is in a separate folder, perhaps one created just for images, once it's been uploaded you might need to set permissions on it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Otherwise it won't let you even view the contents in the directory.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your FTP client will probably allow you to do this.&nbsp;&nbsp;If its a small web site probably it's easiest to keep all files in the root.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Let us know how you come out.<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back