Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see Burner in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmillward

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
Just installing a burner in a win98 machine to replace a CD Rom.
Previous CD rom worked fine, set as slave drive.
Replaced it with a burner.
This gets detected by the BIOS ok.
However when i go into windows it doesn't detect it, also it doesn't let me eject the drawer. Which led me to believe that the power supply to the burner was bad, or the ide was bad.
When i put the old CD rom back in it AGAIN worked ok.

Any ideas ????
Checked the obvious things both set to slave etc.

Make certain that your HD is set to master and not Cable Select (which may have worked with the old drive).

You can also try moving it to the second IDE set for testing.

Other things to examine/consider/try:
Can you get to the CD drive by booting with a Boot Floppy?
Can you boot with a bootable CDROM (Windows 98 setup cd) and see both the HD and CDROM?
Does it show up in the Device Manager?
Do you have a current BIOS loaded on your motherboard?
(Check with the Manufacturer for updates)

We'll start with those and go from there.

Tim

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

The old driver is probably still loaded from the previous CD-ROM's firmware.

I would boot Win98 into Safe Mode and remove all CD drive entries in Device Manager. Then when you return to Normal mode, things should be fine.

If not, try the burner as "master" on the secondary IDE channel.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg<====right on the mark

If you didn't open device manager and delete the old cdrom under CDROM before physically removing it, the old driver is still installed. Restart in safe mode, open device manager and delete all cdroms. Then try the install again.

If you've ever added or moved i/o without first removing them from device manager, their drivers are most likely still installed. Don't be surprised if you find multiple cdroms, non-existant devices or other multiple devices listed in safe mode's device manager.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back