Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't see all computers in ntwk n'hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkjambu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
MY
hi guys,

i can' not see and connected to few computers in my network neighbourhood. they are running win95 or win98. i have installed my tcp/ip and netbeui but still no effect.

any idea?

Hello pinkjambu

It would be helpful to know what network config u have. Can you ping the other m\c.s etc. I had this problem and I found that i had named my 98 M/c's with spaces in between when changed the name to one word they appeared on nwn.

In addition, NetBeui starts to choke with around 10 computers. So if you have 10 or more, this could be the reason some arent' showing up.

You can also try to see if the 98/95 machines are configured properly by either pinging their ip or from run typing //ip.address.goes.here and seeing if that brings up a browser window to that computer. Sometimes a the network needs a little kick like that to recognize the pc.

Did you install Netbui on all the computers? You would have to.

I would forget about Netbui and install them all using Netbios.

For each computer make certain:

. They have the same workgroup name
. They have unique computer names
. That under TCP/IP properties, Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled and bound to the network adapter.
. Remove any unneeded adapters
. Remove any unneeded protocols: IPX/SPC, Netbui, etc.
. Windows for Microsoft Networking installed
. File and Printer Sharing Installed
. Windows Logon selected
. There is a username and password assigned on each machine to logon
. That the XP machine have all the username/password entries for the network made, or the Guest account is enabled
. Every machine shares something, printer, file or folder
. Every machine login is done with a password, the Enter key or Okay, and never the Escape key or Cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back