Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't scandisk in W2K anyone got any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

comboy

Instructor
May 23, 2003
Hi folks,

Need some help on this one as it has me pulling the hair out.

When I go to perform a scandisk on my laptops HDD in W2K I get a message telling me that the action caould not be performed as unique access could not be obtained for the drive would you like to schedule one for the next time you start the computer.
I get a similar message if I go into CMD and try and perform a CHKDSIK. I get this messsage if I try both a normal and full scan.

I personally think the VGA card is the problem as if I schedule a scan for when the laptop is restarted the scan is completed but the SVGA drivers are disabled and default VGA drivers are loaded and I have to go and reload the drivers.

The laptop is from ACER and according to their website I have downloaded the correct graphics driver. The graphics card is a trident cvberblade ai1.

If anyones had a similar problem and knows a fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comboy

So, if you go to drive properties, tools, check now box under error checking and start it, it won't run?

Have you tried scheduling chkdsk for next reboot (its more effective as it runs before windows loads & locks access to some files)?

Why are you trying to run chkdsk (scandisk is win9x/ME utility)?

This is XP forum, btw (forum616 for 2k pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back