Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't save to nvram

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWHATER

MIS
Apr 26, 2005
US
I'm running c2600-i-mz.123-20.bin, with 8mb of flash and 32mb of nvram. I'm not sure what happened other than a power outage I experienced, but now when I want to write to nvram using copy run start or wr mem, I get:

startup-config file open failed (Bad file number)

If I reboot, of course I have no startup config and basically have to pull the running config from a tftp backup. Any clues ?

in reference to the above in case you dont know what that means... what is the config register set to?
you can see it by running the command "show ver"

If your config register is normal (0x2102) and your router is currently online (w/ an active configuration in RAM), one thing you could do is try to format/erase your NVRAM: filesystem and then if it passes the format/erase then do a "copy run start" to take the active configuration out of RAM and put it in NVRAM.

-Rainman

Conf-reg is 0x2102. I erased nvram, downgraded to c2600-i-mz.121-16.bin, , set conf-reg to 0x2102, and still get the same thing. Could it be hardware ?

Sounds to me that you need a new flash card. If you do a show flash command what appears?

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

CCNA,CCNP,Network+
Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

could be that the flash card is write protected, some old flash cards have a lock on them a bit like the old write protect on the 3.5" floppy disc's.

Erase startup-config did the trick, not erase nvram.

Router#erase ?
/all Erase all files(in NVRAM)
/no-squeeze-reserve-space Do not reserve space for squeeze operation
flash: Filesystem to be erased
nvram: Filesystem to be erased
startup-config Erase contents of configuration memory

Back it all up and format flash: If it still gives you the error the flash is almost certainly damaged or corrupt in some way. We had it a short while ago and it wasn't an IOS bug. We replaced under warranty.

Whats in your Flash? How big is your config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back