Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't save after updating a placed file, or can't even update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinql

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
US
I'm having a strange quark problem...sometimes when I update a placed file, it won't let me save the document, or sometimes won't even let me update the image and says "file not found [-43]" when I select the file it says is missing. I've been working around it by quitting out of Quark and restarting the program (until it gives up and freezes ?) or sometimes if I print the document first it lets me save it.

Currently Quark Xpress 4.11, Mac OS 9.04, G4 Dual 450MHz, 256mb

Thanks. Erin Quick-Laughlin
DBA, PHP/MySQL programmer

Hi Erin - - Annoying little message, isn't it? But it's a sign of trouble that is undoubtedly affecting other apps and system operations as well.

First things first... OS 9.0.4 is troublesome and should be updated. Your RAM could use a boost from 256, and at current prices it's not a bad idea. (Talk to a couple of suppliers and make sure you're getting the right chip.)

QX likes to run with clean fonts, so check your active fonts with ATM or another utility. (I find that QX doesn't always get along with "auto-activation" in ATM, so I keep it disabled.)

Lastly, I've seen the message appear on stations that are experiencing network difficulties.

I'm sorry I don't know the specific reference for the -43 error, (I'm going to go research it now!), but it always seems to come about as the result of an assortment of lesser system antagonists.

All of the above seem to help, but I'll try to get back with a more definite answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back