Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't restore a QuackXpress file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2001
CA
Tried to restore a file created with QuarkXpress on a Mac computer. The file is moved to a common disk on a Windows2000 server before backup (Backup Exec 8.5).
After restoring to the networked disk and moving the file back to the Mac, it shows only garble. Am I missing anyhting?
Does this has anything to do with compression?
If so, how can I de-compress the file to its original format?
Any adviced will be appreciated.

Once you move it back did you open it from within Quark? If not, you may be missing the Creator Type resource (the Mac has data forks and resource forks whereas the PC doesn't). Other resources might also be missing, but I don't use Quark on PC so I can't check on that.

Other than that try a Mac utility such as Stuffit to see if it *has* been compressed (lots of backups do that by default). Stuffit is the predominant Mac compression utility, and opens several kinds of archives.

MacLink Plus also recognizes and decompresses many types, as well as converting known file types between versions and platforms.

You could try putting .QXD on the end of the file, then going to Quark and selecting open and locate file.

If the file had illagel symbols in it like '/ \' etc. Then the restore my not have worked correctly.

If you are using commpression on a server when you do the restore the file should be unconpressed. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

can you email the file i may be able to fix
Greg X-)  kargreg@warwick.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back