Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remove SCSI tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS815

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
US
After installing an SCSI tape using mkdev tape,, issuing tape command returns ...no such device error. If I try to remove unit 0, using mkdev tape, response is invalid choice, please enter a number between 0 and -1. If I try to install, response is (of course), another device is installed at this address. SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 on HP NetServer tc2110 using embedded controller (Adaptec 160). Driver is ad160. Any clues appreciated.

Hello,
I have a couple of ideas for you. First look at your /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi file. Is the tape drive listed ? The entry is called "stp". Is the ID,LUN,etc.etc., correct ? Is it attached to the correct ad160 scsi host adapter ( 0 primary, 1 if secondary) ? Is the SCSI ID set right on your drive to match the configuration file. Is it the last device on the SCSI bus, if it is, is it terminated correctly ? Check all of your drive settings and the configuration file before doing anything else! Another question I have is what type of SCSI tape drive do you have? Is it an LVD drive or a SCSI2 drive. If it's a scsi2 drive you are going to pull all other devices on the same SCSI bus down to the slower speed !!!! Second, if nothing else works, try to manually remove your tape drive. Always make a backup of configuration files before you edit them! The path is "/etc/conf/cf.d". Manually edit with vi the "mscsi" file to remove the entry for your tape drive "stp" entry, then try re-adding it with "mkdev tape" again.

Another thing, you did relink and rebuild your kernel, and reboot after adding your drive ?

If you want to post your exact configurations, I will try to help you figure your problem out.

Rob

Rob,
Thanks for the response. I removed the entry from the mscsi file and reinstalled using mkdev tape. The tape drive seems to work fine now but I have this unusual situation. If I choose option 6 (view) in mkdev tpae there are 2 units listed (0 and 1). If i remove unit zero the view option shows only unit zero remaining. If I try to remove again the response is "...no SCSI devices installed". Also, the mscsi file has the correct info but there is a blank line between the disk and tape entries which was not there previously. I'm tempted to let sleeping dogs lie if I can use the tape sucessfully, but I would like to avoid problems in the future. This is a brand new HP tc2110 server with a SureStor DAT 24i. HP installed the drive so I will assume it was done correctly. This drive is listed as being SCSI 2 or 3 compliant, fast, narrow single ended bus. Thanks again for the tip. If you have any other advice I would appreciate it.

Hello,
I am glad to hear you got the drive to at least work!

The thing about the tape drive being narrow single ended 50 pin scsi is that if it is on the same scsi bus as your hard drives, and I assume your hard drives are ultra 160 drives, that the hard drives are pulled down to the non ultra160 scsi speeds by the tape drive. This is not optimal ! I always suggest that scsi tape and cdrom drives be on a seperate scsi bus when using ultra 160 hard disks, unless of course that your tape and cdrom drives are ultra 160 drives, and your tape is not Ultra 160.

There shouldn't be a space in between the listings in your mscsi file, but I don't think it is going to hurt anything.

When you remove tape drive 0 with mkdev tape, it will automatically move drive 1 to drive 0.

When you access your drive the way you have it working now are you using the device stp0 or stp1 ? Does it think that you have more than 1 tape drive ? Is there multiple "stp" entries in the mscsi file ? If there is you can manually remove the extra entry. Let me know and I respond.

regards,
rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back