Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remove crashed server - error 637

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilOrangePeel

Technical User
Aug 1, 2007
GB
Hi all :)

We have a crashed Netware 6.5 server in the tree holding a RW replica - this will never be turned back on so we are wanting to remove it. Following a TID from Novell I was going to delete the replica via ConsoleOne but when I attempt this I get a 637 error - incomplete moves not sync'd to all replicas.
TID's suggestions for fixing this involve the server being available....

Seems I am caught in a loop where I can't remove the server or resolve the unfinished moves.

Anyone got any ideas what i could try to resolve or get shot of the obituaries?

Thanks
Neil

I had to reread your post to avoid making certain assumptions.. It sounds like you're trying to remove the Replica when you should just be trying to remove the Server object.

Since the Server is not there, there is no way that any replica will sync. It's a catch 22. Don't try to do any replica moves, deletes, merges, or anything else. At least not yet.

First you need to get the server out of there. Not just the replica, the whole server. Go to ConsoleOne, to Partition/Replica view, then click on the server on the left hand pane (the one that is dead). If you try to Right Click - Properties, it should sit there for 5-10 minutes, then time out and give you an error. That is EXACTLY what you want. Once COnsoleOne has identified that the server is not reachable (and potentially dead), you can delete the server right there. Do this by another Right Click -> Delete.

When you delete the server, the replicas it held will automatically be removed from other servers replica table. In other words, everything kinda just works itself out assuming you don't have any other major NDS issues.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for that :)

I am about to remove the edir objects but I have one other small niggle - I have just found out that a timesync adjustment has been issued several times but has never completed because of this issue - as they don't actually conflict and would all be valid, will they ALL take effect once the edir is back up and sync'ing properlly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back