Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remote access from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

upplepop

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2002
US
We have a small network with a router that is controlled by our ISP. I contacted them and asked for a port mapping to map TCP and UDP ports 3389 to our server's IP, 192.168.0.2 (for Terminal Services), which they completed. However, when I run a port scan of our router's external IP, the only port that comes up is 23; 3389 does not appear. When I run the scan from a computer within our network to the server's IP, many ports come up, including 3389. I am not able to make a Terminal Services connection from outside the network, but I can from within (using the server's 192.168.0.2 address). I contacted the ISP to see why this is, and they stated that the port would not appear on the port scan unless the server is broadcasting on that port. Also, they did a ping from the router to the server IP (192.168.0.2) and got no response.

So how come the router cannot ping the server, but other computers within the network are able to establish a terminal services connection? The Server uses a static IP address. How can I get Terminal Services running from outside the network?

Unless your server has another NIC with a public IP, you won't be able to connect directly to it from outside. If you have a firewall, which I'm assuming you do because your server IP is a public one, you must forward port 3389 FROM your firewall TO the desired (or configured) terminal server.

The reason the computers at work can connect is because they're already on the same network as the server, hence, no forwarding is needed.

Once you get more familiar with it, this may also help:
It tells you how to connect to multiple computers with rdp enabled.

-PuterLuver

Oops, I meant to say "which I'm assuming you do because your server IP is a PRIVATE one" -- not public

-PuterLuver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back