Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't recieve in bound e-mail with Sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geyybecca

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
GB

Hi All,

Well I seem to have worked through nearly all of my problems, the last one I have to crack is receiving e-mail from the outside world.

my set-up is a linux box at work sat in the public address space, this machine also acts as the internal DNS server for work.

We have an internal Exchange server which also is our internal DNS server. from work I can send e-mail to my account on the linux box no problem.

I have just changed the DNS config at work on the internal server so if it can't find a domain it looks at our ISP's DNS seerver not our external server. still I can send ok (NOTE: exchange box has a mapped ip on the same network as the linux box)

so DNS works fine and can be ruled out, it HAS to be sending of e-mails from none trusted networks is denied but I can't find where to change this. Or does anyone have any other ideas ? MCSE,MCSA,MCP+i,MCP

A program that will help you a lot is WebMin from It will help you configure ALL your servers and much more. I suspect your problem is with your access.db file. You can edit access then compile it to create access.db. It is a text file with 2 columns. The first can be an e-mail address, domain or network (ip address). The second column can be Reject Accept or Relay. For example:

yourdomain.com Relay
spammail.com Reject
You@yourdomain.com Relay

Then run the following command:

makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mailaccess (your path may be different)

I'm not sure that that is the exact command but with webmin, you wouldn't have to worry about it. :)

If it's a relaying issue, it should be in your log file.

To things to check when you want to recieve mail:

1. sendmail.cw has to contain the domain names you want to recieve mail for.

2. Your public DNS server must have an MX record pointing to your mail server.
Check:

# nslookup <external dns>
> set q=mx
> <your.domain>

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

If you are using Microsofts' Exchange server to receive your email, you need to check on a program called 'redcarpet'. It is by the folks that support Evolution (an Outlook look alike).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back