Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant receive faxes from certain offices or rightfax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imstillhere

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2008
US
Hello, and thank you for any help i can get. (I did spend time searching threads before posting)

AAM 7.1-58.0
We use IP flex circuits

First off, we receive hundreds of faxes a day from around the country with no problem.
If you dont care to read the whole thread i understand :) ...Just this question will be a big help..
I have recorded a greeting with fax tone, but before the fax tone greeting plays I want to stop Avaya from saying.."you have reached the secure voice mailbox of"
Is there a way to stop that?

Its more than a rare occasion now (seems many more companies are switching fax services)that some office just cant get a fax to us.
Some faxes contain information that will violate HIPPA so i cant always suggest they scan and email the fax if they dont have encryption software.
We have one POTs line left in the building that i tapped a fax machine into and i could get them that way and just hand deliver them.
But now everyone is working from home.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Avaya answering with voice so id like to at least test by removing that greeting.
I know its not the solution since we can put a fax greeting on everyones vmail :)
Im going back through some emails and reaching out to customers to try and find out their system types/ fax services and maybe find some something in common..
If anyone has suggestion on questions to ask these places i would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Rick

ha! ive done that

in the mailbox options you can choose to play your recorded name or a greeting.

If you pick name

Audrey AUDIX says "You have reached the mailbox of" "recorded name"

If you pick greeting, then Audrey AUDIX doesn't announce anything and it's just the dialup noise from the 90s you recorded from youtube :)

Kyle,

Here is a pic of what i see in greeting options,
Greeting_xxuxw7.jpg

in case you dont see the pic..
I see 3 sections

Names: It has one option..Recorded Name (with no check box to make active) I have fax tone recorded there.
Standard Greetings: It has 1 option... Personal (it has a box to make active) box was checked as active when i took the pic and fax tone is recorded there also.

Optional Greetings..has 9 options all with check boxes to make active but no greetings are recorded and no boxes are checked.

I unchecked personal greeting (saved) assuming it would default to names since names has no box to make active.

I've tried other things and tried dialing in as well, nothing I've done is stopping her..

Do you have a make active box in the names section?

Kyle,

I found it!
In the AAM server select messaging..In the section Messaging System select Sites (We have several)
I selected mine and started scrolling and looking..... at the very last thing i found was this..
Capture_ttbgrt.png

And when i hit [lay..guess what it says lol.. Yup there is the greeting...
Apparently this is hardwired for everyone. I dont know what the restore to default is but it looks like the only option is to create a 1 sec silent greeting and replace it...

Remember - you have 2 ways to greet the caller - with system generated greeting where it will play or TTS your recorded name and say "is not available. At the sound of the tone..."

Or, you have the choice for your own greeting. So if you make your own greeting a recording of 90s modem tones, anyone at an old fax with a handset waiting for receive tones to push start will think they're talking to a fax machine.

You're just tricking them with modem noise.

AAM doesn't have an express messaging feature like Call Pilot, so it's always voicemail for people first and it happens to be able to receive a fax for your users if it hears fax send tones

I tried the faxbox as well, I still get the same greeting.
I looked at all of the Class of service options and even created a new one one but I cant get around this greeting.
I dont know why a faxbox would need any sort of voice greeting on it???
I'll have to check with Corporate as to why this is needed. I was hoping to eliminate any sort of voice greeting as my first step in troubleshooting this fax issue.

I found this doucument

I need to go through that and gain what i can, (I know there is a fax timer setting, but that too is system wide affecting alot of other sites)
The only thing in our tenant i can affect would be trunks and codecs. But since we get more faxes than not, i will try and gather some basic questions to present to the offices and fax services I come across
that cant get faxes to us.

Thank you both for your time and input.

Ken - can you make fax only mailboxes on AAM? I didn't think you could

Kyle,

You can make fax only mailboxes...create a new class of service as fax box.
Set fax support setting in the COS (send to email or send to fax server)
Or just create a virtual fax and assign it to a desktop messaging type COS which should already have fax support set up.

**I created a new site and was able to avoid the canned greeting all the other sites were getting.
When creating a new site.. the greeting option is blank unless a file is uploaded***

yeah, but does it answer with fax receive tones first?

No..I still had to create a personal greeting of a couple seconds of Fax tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back