Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't read OS version through WMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all, I was having a few latency issues and thought I'd check DNS on my Domain Controllers (three subnets, three Domain Controllers). I'm running dcdiag /test:dns to check things and two of the three DCs show no errors. The third DC gives me the following error message:

TEST: Basic (Basc)
Error: Can't read OS version through WMI

The few Google hits that have come close refer to a problem with the remote connection. Well, I'm getting the error while I'm on the DC. I've tried running nslookup using that particular DC and all name resolution seems to be working fine so I'm not too worried but I WOULD like to see a Domain.com passed test DNS message when I run this test. Anyone have any ideas on this problem?

Thanks,

Joe B

First have you checked the event log for that particular DC to see if there's anything wrong particularly the system and DNS logs.

Thanks itsp1965 but it died last night and I'm building a new server to run in its place. If I can get it limping along I'll check the logs and see if I can find anything.

Thanks,

Joe B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back