Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Read Foreign Word Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

esandrs

MIS
Mar 19, 2002
US
I have a couple of Word documents sent to a user from Taiwan. The email comes through legible (English), noted as being "Chinese Traditional (Big5)" in the title bar when the email is opened.

I have tried to open the attached Word docs on a system with all the languages installed both for the OS (XP) and for Word (XP, 2002, whatever they want to call it) and with Word set to Autodetect Language. The result is a page full of garbled text characters. When the doc is open there is a small field at the bottom that notes it is displaying in "English (US)". The doc should be in English according to the source, but was probably written on a different language set version of Word.

Nothing I've tried has allowed me to see these documents correctly - anyone got a good idea I can try? Selecting the text and telling Word to set it to Chinese or such didn't do anything either...

Eric Sanders
-Just some guy on a board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back