Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant pull down an IP address ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledgeisnetworkin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2004
US
I was on a srvc call on a Dell desktop workstation running XP Pro. the problem was the desktop was not connecting to the server downstairs. Dell sent a Mobo w/ an onboard NIC. replaced the mobo and still no IP.

I logged on locally (no domain b/c the pc wasnt a domain pc), checked the ip settings and i got the usual 169 address when it cant find an ip from a dhcp. tried to release/ renew, and nada. checked the network settings, it had the TCP/IP protocol, it was configured to get an ip automatically.

I took the pc to a known good cubicle thinking the rj45 cable may of been bad, and still no IP. Then I tried a known good pc where i was having problems and it got an IP, and mapped to the server. So now I narrowed it down to the system. I disable, and enabled the NIC, tried to find updated drivers,..nothing worked.

I pinged the NIC and I got replies. Could there be maybe a firewall setting, or some sort of anti virus program not allowing me to pull down an IP, and mapping to the server ?
Anything witin Windows XP I overlooked ? Does anyone know if any virus would prevent windows from pulling down an IP?
Or good I have just got a bad board from DELL ?

Thanks for the help.

p.s i couldnt tell you what type of board it is. just your run of the mill buy in bulk cheap mobo's that DELL puts in their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back