Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't pull certain field data from Excel spreadsheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerace

Technical User
May 24, 2005
US
C10
Interbase

In this report, one of the data sources is a excel spreadsheet. I am pulling data from an ID field where all values are 8 digits long, most starting with a 7 or 9. However, some of these values begin with 000 so that the value is something like "00045678".

The values that start with 0 are showing up in the report as 0, whereas those that start with a 7 or a 9 appear correctly. Any ideas on what is happening and how to fix this?

Excel does odd things when reporting it's data types.

One trick is to go into the Excel spreadsheet and insert a dummy row at the top which clearly defines each data type, in the instance of the 000 field, I would insert any string, such as blah.

Then connect and you'll likely see all values.

Not sure specifically what's going on in your case, but that should resolve.

-k

After you have done what SV suggested, I would also go to database, verify database.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
" - unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back