Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't print twitter pages / even MS website is blank in print preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have some staff who is having problems printing some web pages.

Twitter just crashes / hangs , even MS's website including bing displays in print preview as completely blank?

They are running XP with IE8.

Any ideas why, as our own website displays and prints fine?

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Have tried diff browsers? Any add-ons? Have you tried printing to a file?

Well I disabled all plugins and it makes no difference, other websites print/preview fine.

got to twitter home page and try to print preview and the browser totally hangs and needs killing!

we do not allow staff to use any other browser other than IE , so that isn't an option.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

If it's just certain sites, it sounds like some program is blocking something. Maybe something with the firewall or AV?

I can confirm the following on my W7 x64 machine:

In IE8 the Twitter home page is very slow to load, print preview is also slow to load, and the pages in print preview show black.

In FF 3.6.17 the Twitter home page is very slow to load, print preview is also slow to load, and the pages in print preview show blank.

In IE8 and FF 3.6.17 bing.com loads fine but print preview shows no images It does show all text and the search box. However, shows the images in print view.

Is it only these types of sites (search, home page of a social network) that you are having issues with or can you give us an example of web page with combined images/text that you have problems printing.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

We are experiencing exactly the same as you cmeagan, it is mainly Twitter where the problem lies and bing behaves as per your experience.

It's a nightmare as we require the ability to print twitter pages as part of financial promotions regulation on behalf of the FSA.

If we are not able to take copies of peoples tweets then we might have to ban our members from using it as a business channel for conducting regulated activities.

I've checked the firewall and we do not content block, we have a service that records all traffic, where they go and who goes there, but that's audit trail not enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back