Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant print locally from remote office using negear vpn. IM STUMPED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannaBgeeksquad

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
I have a VPN setup with a netgear FVS336G. i installed the printer, a panasonic KX-MB781 on the remote computer. Its installed as a network printer using its ip address (which then it couldnt find or connect to it). Is there something im missing?? i can ping all of the remote computers at the office and even the printer, but the dam print setup wont find the printer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

If you set it up as a network printer, you should connect to a server that the printer is logically attached to, and connect it that way.
\\server\printer

Burt

I understand that if I were goin into a workgroup with a shared network printer, that's how I would do it. But, I'm outside the office and want to print here at home when I'm using rdp to a machine and want to print at home connected to the vpn. My understanding was that you can "bring" local resources over rdp such as printer and hd. Sorry I wasn't at all clear in my message earlier.

Would I need to set my local printer up as a shared printer?

Either that, or you may want to try this...in the vpn connection properties, tcp/ip properties, advanced, there should be a tab to select which gateway to use (remote or local). The remote gateway is checked by default. Uncheck it. That way your home computer should print, as it will use the local gateway. You can try to copy whatever you want to print into whatever application (Word, Excel, Notepad, etc.).
If that does not work, try sharing the local printer.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back