Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't print graphics to Windows 2000 shared printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhall51

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
I have an user with WinXP Pro. He needs to print to a color laser that is connected to a Win2000 workstation. I can print test pages and small documents, but if I try and print a color graphic, the Win2000 workstation has an error writing to LPT1. I can see the document trying to spool on the win2000 workstation, but hangs after 40Kb or so. Any ideas on how to get it to finish spooling larg documents?

Thanks

copy the file to the other workstation and then print it from there.. ;-) I should of been a doctor..

There are new documents everyday. This is not an option. I need to be able to print from the WinXP to the Win2000 printer with out erroring out.

I wonder if it would still error out if the printer was hooked directly to the XP machine?? hhhmmm... I should of been a doctor..

Since pocuments without graphics print fine, I am assuming it is a problem with the 2000 workstation not getting all of the information from the XP workstation when it sends large documents with graphics. I would move the printer but it is in a central location, and the xp is in a private office. I can't figure out why the print information gets to the 2000 workstation but does not finish spooling.

What kind of printer is it? Make and Model? There could be a new driver or patch that you need to fix the bug.

How much memory does the printer have? How big are the documents you're trying to print? If you overload the print spool, it will sit there. Jordan MCP, A+
Assistant Network Administrator

It is a HP 4050 Color. I can't remember the memory of the printer. It has not been upgraded, so is the HP standard. The document that are being printed are large, but I have tried to just print the first page (It has a large color picture) and the spool on the 2000 workstation shows about 450Kb and it only spools about 24KB and stops responding. All other workstations print to the shared 4050 fine. It's just the XP.

If it's just XP then I think it might be the drivers? Did you get the XP drivers for the HP 4050? If not I would download them here...

And install them on your XP computer OR If you have the driver shared from the printing recource then you need get the new driver for that computer OS and configure it for XP driver uploading.

I doesn't look like a driver issue, because I can print small documents that do not have graphics. The drivers are the latest for the workstations in question.

Hmm... not sure where else to go with this. I have at home an Epson served off a Windows 2000 computer. Three other computers print to it ok. Windows 98, ME and XP Home. Only other thing is check for disk space and maybe the spooler settings or re-create the spooler or re-direct the spooler temp location to a different folder?

Sorry, good luck.

Agree with OnCrystal it is something with the spooler on the Win2K machine. Are you sure there is lots of disk space there? Assume you have current Win2K drivers but if other workstations can print large files OK and it is only the XP that falls over then maybe there is a timeout problem.

Have you tried setting the XP to print direct to the printer in the spool options? Maybe it is spooling on the XP machine and spooling also on the Win2K. Is the spooler service hung on the Win2K machine or is it looping? - check task manager and system monitor to see if anything is gobbling CPU or doing a lot of disk IO.

Check the event logs on the Win2K machine for spooler errors. If you stop and start the spooler on the Win2K machine (can you?) then what happens??

Bit of a puzzle alright.

Brgds
Jock

I have tried to set the XP to print directlyt to the printer, but it errors out on XP. The spooling looks to be only on 2000. XP shows the print request and then disapears. The spooler hangs on 2000.

XP is a better print server, hook the printer up to the XP box, CHECK THE DRIVERS, DONT USE XP DRIVERS (generic drivers will print text but not images as you have described), and share the printer fromt the XP side, it can deploy drivers accross the network. It is a driver issue. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back