Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't preview without overprint preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacster

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
A friend of mine is having some issues seeing this in a PDF. He has a pdf/ill file that when you open it there appears to be something missing. When you click on overprint preview in ill. everything shows up. The same happens in Acrobat. When you open it it's not there until you view seps. Any ideas?

thanks,
donna

...this usually happens in acrobat when you have spot colors interacting with transparency and the format of the PDF is in 1.3 (transparency is flattened in 1.3 PDF files)...

andrew

============
============

Well, I double-checked. It's PDF 1.5 made with something DALiM software. My friend says it prints seps fine, but not the composite for the proof.

...obviously though, without seeing the artwork in question it is difficult to determine whether there is a problem with the artwork or whether it will actually output fine...

...working blind here really and shooting in the wind a bit, so can only answer based on what i have experienced in the past...

andrew

============
============

Thanks, Andrew. It's not my file, but trying to help find the answers. Appreciate your input.

Donna

...DALiM Twist is a workflow solution and can process artwork to many formats on the fly. I used to work with this workflow with a previous company...

...can your friend verify whether spot colors are used?

...is your friend trying to print from acrobat as composite?

...if possible, can they provide a download link to the artwork in question?

andrew

============
============

...also worth pointing out that PDF versions higher than 1.3 can still have transparency flattened depending on how artwork is finally processed in a workflow...

...for example you can have a PDF 1.5 (or higher) file created from a PostScript file, the PostScript will however already have the transparency flattened before the PDF is made...

andrew

============
============

...if spot colors are used and interact with transparency, they will need to ensure that overprints are honoured on output...

...from acrobat this can be done in the advanced options > output (simulate overprint checkbox) in the print dialog...

andrew

============
============

...also with some PDF artwork printing to certain devices from acrobat, using the "print as image" option in the print dialog (advanced options) can render the print quicker to a composite device...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back