Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't power on HP Proliant DL380 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceil32

MIS
Apr 8, 2008
IE
I have a HP Proliant DL380 - I have two working power leads connected in the back and the motherboard and AC connector both have green LED's lit to indicate power is getting to the server

I can't power the server on using the power button and can't see an easy way of removing the front casing

Can anyone assist?

Thanks..

What is the history of the server? Is it new to you? Has it ever worked? Has anything been added or removed from the server? Stuff like that. Also what generation of DL380 do you have? Is there a reason that you suspect the power button as being bad versus some other hardware error or issue?

Do you have a iLO or RIB-LOE in it? If so, can you get at the interface on it and try and power it up from there?

My first thought would be to pull everything out of the server and see if you can get it to power up: memory, add-on cards, one of the power supplies, etc. If both CPU sockets are used and you have more thermal grease, I'd even pull the one in the second socket. Of course this will give you errors on boot, but it will tell you if one of the add-on devices is causing the problem.

History of server - about six trouble free years

It's not new to here

Nothing has changed recently.

I don't have either iLO or RIB-LOE

I've tried removing different cards/power supplies to no avail

I've also tried changing the power leads - plugging into UPS/General service etc

No joy.

I would still do what I suggested in my first reply; pull as much as you can (all together) and see if it initiates the power up sequence.

Is this a G1 (Generation 1) or G2 server?

What color is the health light on the front?

If it is red, it could be the PPM, proc or PSU distribution board. You should be able to take the top cover off and push in the power switch that way, but we need to know what Gen it is. What color is the front bezel?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

The LED on the front is red.

I've tried removing all sorts of devices to no avail!

The Blue UID LED works.

How can I tell what gen it is?

G1 - usually was beige and 3U
G2-G6 are 2U and charcoal colored. All of ours have labels printed on them
G2, G3, and G4p are on the left-hand side
G4's are on the right, under the latch

We don't have anything above a G4p right now.

Just checking this again and there is a tag with iLo Default network settings on it

Can anyone advise how to access user interface with this in mind?

You can access the iLO from a web brower, if it has a network connection. The iLO has its own network and if you look at the back of the server you should see a port labelled iLO. However, the default network configuration for the iLo is to pull a DHCP address. You'll need to find the address, or this won't help you.

The other way to configure the iLO is through the setup on post (F8 option). This will not work for you right now, but may be good for future setup.

If you can find the ip address the iLO is getting from DHCP you might be able to access it there. Unless you've purchased an Advanced Pack, you won't be able to do the remote console, but the power cycle options should still work.

Ok I've plugged in a network lead into that point and have a connectivity signal

I've ran an IP scan over the network and am not seeing any new hosts.

I tried putting the name on the iLO tag from the front of the pc into a broweser (with no port at the end) but no luck - can you assist?

Thanks

I'm into the iLO web console

Whats the best way to proceed?

Under virtual devices tab select virtual power. Choose Momentary Press and click the virtual power button. If your problem is with the physical button on the server, this should boot it up.

Well then, it doesn't appear to be the power button.

How far did you get with pulling components? Did you get down to just power and processor(s)?

burtsbees (Programmer) 26 Jul 09 13:18
What color is the health light on the front?

If it is red, it could be the PPM
I've seen those go bad, too. I don't suppose this system has dual processors (both sockets, not dual core). If so, you could try switching the PMMs.

I'll almost guarantee it's the PPM...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Eureka!

As soon as I unseated and reseated the gold devices (PPM's)it powered up right away

Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back