Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Play Games on My Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I think this has something to do with the copy protection, but I've bought a couple new games recently and neither work. The installation works, and then the game tells me to insert the correct CD-ROM. Usually the disc is already in the drive, but it nothing works. I even tried the games on another computer and they work great.

Does anyone know what could cause this? I've used different hard drives, reinstalled several times, and shut down all programs during the install. I'm pretty stumped. I need to find a way around this.

Thanks

1. Problem: When running a restricted user account with fast user switching under Windows XP, some games will not start correctly. The game requests that the original disk be placed in the drive, even if it is already present. To fix this issue, download and run the file below. This software will not alter or patch any component on your system, it will only change the startup state of the system component needed to start your game from start on demand (on game load), to start at boot (on Windows XP start).

Microsoft Games SafeDisc Windows XP Fix 56Kb

2. Are you the administrator? That might be necessary to write the game's entries to the registry. Many games will only work as the Administrator of the computer.

3. Non-US Versions

If you're running any version of the software or Windows other than US, there can be registry problems:

Some foreign versions of games have a problem with the registry. The Zone looks for the names PATH and FILE that list the folder the game is stored in and the filename of the game. But the game writes PAD (example) for the PATH or some other word. You can go to the manufacturer's website and look for a patch for your language.

Not Able to Detect <Game> on Your Hard Drive

I ran the program to no avail. I'm the only user on my machine, and have all administrator's privilages. Could this be virus that not's being detected? I'm using domestic software on a domestic machine.

Any more ideas? I could reformat, but I REALLY don't want to do that yet.

Do this:

Start, run, dxdiag

This will test your machine for graphics, sound, etc. to make sure it is working for DirectX.

Also, be certain you have updated to DirectX 9.0b

Thanks, but did that too...everything in DirectX is working. Most of my games work with no problems. It seems like something happened to the system at some point in time, and since then I can't run a newly installed game.

are you logged into your own account that you created or are you in the account the computer logged into when you first installed windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back