Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant Ping Switch from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2012
US
Hi All, Newbie here

Here is my situation. We have a Cisco 6509 and I just connected a Cisco 4510 to it. If I connect my laptop to the 4510, I get an IP address and I can go out to the Internet. However, I cannot ping the IP address of the 4510. I can ping the 6509.
If I connect my laptop to the 6509, I get an IP address and can go out to the Internet. I can ping the 6509 but cannot ping the IP address of the 4510. I can telnet to the 6509. When I am telnetted into the 6509, I can telnet to the 4510.

I can add the configs if needed, but I have the links from the 4510 to the 6509 set up as port-channels and trunks ports. When I do a show cdp neighbor from the 4510, is sees the 6509 and vice versa.

Any ideas?

please post relevant ip and switchport configurations

Presumably, the IP address of the 4510 isn't on the network properly, eg, is on a different VLAN and you have no routing to the 4510's VLAN.
Or is on the wrong VLAN interface for its subnet.

You may need to ensure your IP addresses are set correctly.
Also declare your neighbours perhaps - Router Eigrp XX .

I took a look at some of the other switches and they have the crypto pki commands

Sounds like the management vlan for the 4510 is not allowed across the trunks but without the configs its hard to say. Is the 4500 management address in the same space as the pc you are using ? Crypto commands would have nothing to do with your issue.

When you completed your "show cdp neighbor" command it would have only given you layer 2 information.

Try a "show cdp neighbor detail" command on the relevant interface and it will show you the layer 3 information of the attached switch and therefore the management address it is using to communicate from switch to switch.

Confirm the ports you connect the Laptop to are configured correctly, as the telnet from one switch to the other could be utilising a different address range to the port you are connecting to (in otherowrds the management address range I mentioned above).

Thanks for the help. I contacted one of the guys who use to work here. I had to add an ip route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back