Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping static NAT translation IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am doing NAT on my 7206 router, and I am mapping several internal IP addresses to global IP addresses. What I am seeing is that if I try to ping the globally mapped IP address from inside my network, I get a 50% success rate, ie it drops every other packet. Is this normal behavior or am I missing something? Thanks for any help!!!

Well.. it's not normal on my 2514 running NAT.. run a debug ip icmp and see exactly what is happening on the router when it's hit with the ping. If you have two interfaces feeding the global AND you have per packet routing turned on but turning off ip route swiching , it would make sense that one interface passes the packet but loses the next if that interface doesnt have the NAT on it.

Without a config to see, we are guessing quite a bit.

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back