Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Ping servers from Command Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajrey

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
Hello all!
This is my story:
I have a Server installed in my WAN conected to my router like any other server in my WAN. I can connect to this server via VCN with no problem using its name.
Fron that server I can go to Start/Run and type \\servername I can access that server folders. BUT! I cant ping those servers!

If I try to ping that same server I accessed via Start\Run \\servername I cant. Gives me Request Timeout. WHY????

Even by trying to ping by IP Address.

Any Ideas? Im lost here!!

can you ping any nodes on the network that the server in question resides?

Sounds to me like your firewall has the ping port blocked. Check 9595, 3587, 3503, and 3010. These are blocked on my router. I know that I also have my tracert blocked (port 33434), and even though I can get to remote servers, I cannot ping or tracert to them. Check your firewall logs, and see if there is attempted traffic using ping. It will tell you which port you need to open, if it is indeed closed (and if you HAVE to have it open).

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back