Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping Server Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljubicic

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I Have to NT4 Servers. One Named Financial and the other Records

From the Records server I am able to ping itself and Financial by their Names, however from Financial I can only ping itself and when I ping Records it sees another server named Records with a completely different IP address.

Records Config...

IP Address : 10.50.20.24
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 10.50.20.1

Primary WINS Server : 10.50.20.20
Secondary WINS Server : 10.50.20.24

Financial Config...

IP Address : 10.50.20.23

Secondary WINS Server : 10.50.20.24

I Also have another server named Trilogy-TSG, which I can ping both records and financial with no issues. Its config is...

IP Address : 10.50.20.28

Secondary WINS Server : 10.50.20.20

which is slightly different

I believe that this is a problem with a name resolution for the WINS secondary Server. I would like to know how to fix the name resolution for this secondary server or is there another way to fix this. Where do I go to update this??

Regards
Anthony

Have you tried deleting the mappings for the servers on the secondary WINS server?

Try checking the HOSTS file on the pinger machine. It should have an entry for both FINANCIAL and RECORDS. If one is missing, create it.

Each pinger machine must have the proper entries in the HOSTS file.

Good luck.

For server name - you would be concerned with NETBIOS name resoltion - not Hostname resoltion.

HOST file is for DNS resolution.
Check LMHOST for NETBIOS resolution file.

Firstly: For Trilogy-TSG, only specify one WINS server, or specify 10.50.20.24 asa secondary like the other. But i'm not sure how that config for that server - messes up the Financial server -- it shouldn't matter.

Somewhere in your WINS database - something has gotten confused. You should look at the WINS databases, see if there are any odd enteries there and clear all records and have it rebuild ... OR.. you have a DHCP scope specified without these ip's excluded, and some other machine is getting those IP's (i'm just throwing stuff out - it can be so many things.)

one other thing you can try is clearing the internal netbios cache on Financial by typing: NBTSTAT -RR at the command prompt.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back