Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant ping printers on VLAN'd subnet!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2003
GB
I have a site connected via LES10 with 6 2950's, trunking between core site and all remote switches. VLAN1 management is fine, site connectivity and functionality is fine, the problem is i cant ping a single printer unles i am on the remote subnet. All other devices respond, just not the printers. I've checked things like speed/duplex, ip config of the printers/print servers and cant find a single error.

Any Ideas??

My gut feeling when I finished reading your post is that I would check the default gateway and subnet mask on the print server in question. I'd compare those settings with other print servers/nodes on the same remote IP subnet.

If either of those settings were incorrect, it would certainly result in the issue you've outlined.

Done it, all the printer have the same config with the same 23 bit subnet and correct d/g. We have another site with the same config/hardware thats fine.

The only reason some people are still alive, is simply because it's illegal to kill them!! ;0)

If you traceroute from a remote location to the problem server, what is the last hop that responds? Is it the server's default gateway? Similarly if you're able to traceroute from the print server to a remote location, what is the last hop that responds?

Tracert'ing to a printer gets as far as the vlan1 address of the MSFC of the core site the remote site hangs off (2 hops) traceing the site server hits in 3 hops (ie 10.133.104.2 {remote vlan} - server - 3 hops, 10.133.104.28 - printer - 2 hops {msfc} then bombs out.

From the site server/client pc's you can see the whole world, the print servers are too dumb to ping/trace from. Most printers sit below x.x.x.30, but there's one at x.x.x.179 and it has the same issues.

The remote site server is the local DHCP/DNS/file/print/wins et al, i've even turned off keepalive on the edge switches just in case it was something spurious like that.

I've checked and re-checked the vlan config and compared the switch config to a working site that also hangs off the same 6509 via LES10. The two sites are identical except for the ip scope.

The only reason some people are still alive, is simply because it's illegal to kill them!! ;0)

Just a thought but feel free to tell me to shut up but can you ping the server / clients on the VLan?

Could you be blocking pinging to the VLAn?

You say functionality is fine does this include being able to print?
Iain

P.S. just a thought.

Yes pinging everything but the printers is fine, icmp is allowed throughout the internal network, printing is fine on the lan, but ip printing from off the network doesnt work.

Log on to one of the switches that has a printer pluged in and do a broadcast ping on it. Ping 255.255.255.255

Do a 'show arp' and see if you can see the IP. If that doesn't work, do a Ping 255.255.255.255, and see if you can see the printer(s) responding.

I had a similar problem...

It was for VoIP though.. Data network was on vlan1 and the Voice was on Vlan 200.

When we connected using a Les circuit we could see vlan 1 but not 200.

My solution was to route the ports that were connected to the Les circuit
Original Setup
2950a port1 -----> les10------> 2950b port1
Trunk Trunk

New setup
2950a Port1-------> les 10 -----> 2950b port1
10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
255.255.255.254 255.255.255.254

We assigned a different subnet to the office and added routes to the 2 switches

There could be a simpler way but this was our solution

Status
Not open for further replies.