Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping own Interface 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiefmer

MIS
May 19, 2000
US
I am unable to ping my own serial interface on a 2600 router. I am trying to setup a test Frame Relay lab. But I am unable to ping the serial interfaces on the two routers. Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Kiefmer

You can only ping your serial interface if the line protocol of it is up.

There is a simple solution to this problem but first let me try to better understand your question.When you say your interface are you trying to ping the interface on the same router you are in session with? if not follow this procedure exactly: 1)setup up your circuit on your serial int. between both routers be sure that your pvc's are built correctly (encap: frame-relay mode:ietf(most commonly used) LMI-type ANSI Then setup your DLCI on a sub interface so that it knows what identifier to place on your packets.then make sure your IP configuations are correct Same network, Same subnet.(up to a 30 bit mask) with a PPP setup which will be on your sub-interface.be sure to place a no shutdown command on both serial and sub serial interfaces.also enable ip routing.then setup an IP route between the two routers.then you should not only be able to ping but also be able to telnet which is the final test of your network ....good luck hope this help.
Route-On....Obewan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back