Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping LAN when connected over RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevPlan

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
DK
I have a Windows2000 professional computer to which I connect via RAS from a NT4 workstation. (Dial-up connection with LASAT modems). To that NT4 workstation I have connected another NT4 workstation. (Both NT4 workstation computers are connected with networkcards and a unique static address on the same subnet and workgroup.
I can share files on both NT4 machines but I can't ping each other when connected over RAS. Only when the dial-up connection is closed I can ping NT4 workstations vice-versa.

Basically I need to be able to reach the Windows2000 machine from the 2nd NT4 workstation when connected.
I tried with a proxy software like "Comtun" but I couldn't solve the problem with that.

Is the mistake I am doing that I have all 3 machines on the same workgroup? Do I need to use Domains instead?

I hope someone has some advice to solve that riddle.

in your modem connection properties, try unchecking "use default gateway on remote device".

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Hi manarth

I unchecked &quot;use default gateway on remote device&quot; but then I couldn't ping the remote Windows2000 machine and instead could now ping the local NT4 machine.

So, I needed to put back &quot;use default gateway on remote device&quot; as I am running a call accounting software on the remote which needs to be able to &quot;see&quot; the dial-up server i.e. the Windows2000 machine.

You have a dial-up RAS connection, and a seperate NIC that is connected in a little LAN to another desktop.

When you are on your dial-up connection, you want the second LAN computer to be able to share the connection with you.

I know of no way for you to do this. The closest I can come would be for computer #2 to use remote control type software to take control of computer #1 and do the dial-up RAS connection. But I do not think that is what you want.

If you can get all three devices on the internet, even if by dial-up you could manage to set the remote machine up for FTP and download the data files you want from either machine.

So your network looks like this:
PC2 --cat5-- PC1 --tel_line-- RAS

PC2 & PC1 running NT, the RAS running w2k
and you need both PC1 & PC2 to access the RAS.

Basically, the NT machine in the middle is multihomed (belonging to more than one network): PC1 needs to act as a router.

This functionality is provided by ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or RRAS (Routing & Remote Access Server). I'm sure at least one of them is included with NT w/station.

If not, you'll need to find some routing software.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Yeah - thats what I tried. The routing software (which is a ICS software) is ComTun from LinkByte and with this in fact I can connect from PC2 over the RAS connection but I can't ping the RAS (Windows2000) - nor by name nor by IP address.
RRAS is only in NT server and higher.
Maybe there is some other ICS software which should do the trick?

There should be some way existing to make that work.

It's all about routing...

How about a hardware solution...Use 2 - Netgear FVS318 routers...and create a hardware vpn tunnel...between the 2 networks..This can be always on..or limited to certain times...

Your 2 networks must be be privately addressed on different subnets but the FVS318 ...provides you with the routing necessary to see one another...Then..you have your workstations join the domain...Voila

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back